FSC initiates major review process for Chain of Custody standard
FSC is initiating a major review process of the FSC standard for Chain of Custody Certification (FSC-STD-40-004), the main standard for companies that manufacture, process or trade in timber and non-timber forest products. FSC-STD-40-004 was last reviewed and revised in 2007, when version 2 was approved.
The objective of this process is to review and streamline the FSC Chain of Custody (COC) standard to ensure continued effectiveness in demonstrating that materials and products purchased, labelled and sold as FSC-certified are authentic, and that associated claims are truthful and correct.
The review process also aims to address four approved motions from the 2011 General Assembly:
- Motion 38 calls for a chamber-balanced study to be conducted to evaluate the risks and benefits of pre-consumer material from a market, environmental, and social perspective.
- Motion 43 requests the development of a policy to guide certificate holders in communicating truthfully and transparently about FSC Mix products whose visible and characterizing components are not FSC-certified but are Controlled Wood.
- Motion 44 calls for the revision of the COC standard and development of tools and templates to improve access for small enterprises to Chain of Custody certification.
- Motion 45 requires FSC to examine barriers and opportunities for enhanced FSC-retailer collaboration, including improved Chain of Custody procedures.
- Motion 46 requires FSC to clarify the intent of the Credit System.
The review process starts in April 2012, with a targeted completion by March 2013.
FSC is currently seeking applicants for the technical working group that will lead this review process. Stakeholders are invited to submit their applications by using the FSC application form and reviewing the terms of reference.
All submissions must be sent to Dorothee Jung (email@example.com), FSC COC Policy Officer, by March 31, 2012.
If you have any comments or questions regarding this announcement, please contact Lucia Mayer Massaroth (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dorothee Jung.
Also in this newsletter
The Stakes in LEED 2012
When it comes from a responsibly managed, FSC-certified forest, wood is one of...
FSC-US launches new FSC Marketplace
Within the growing market for FSC-certified products, companies throughout the...
FSC works with Hewlett-Packard and The Lorax
FSC-US has been working closely with Hewlett-Packard in conjunction with their...
Comment on Multi-site Chain of Custody
FSC welcomes public comment on the first revised standards draft for Chain of...
5th FSC Global Paper Forum in Germany
The 5th Annual FSC Global Paper Forum is being held on May 3-4, 2012 at...
US FSC Group Chain-of-Custody Eligibility Requirements
Editor’s note: A version of this story originally ran on the Woodworking...
Southern Forests Network
As the first non-profit FSC group certification program in the Southeastern US,...
Call for Images and Videos
The Forest Stewardship Council US National Office is always looking for good...
Click here to have the monthly FSC Newsletter delivered right to your inbox.
F.D. Sterritt Lumber Co.
Article Archives & Search
Go to the archives.
Use the link above to browse and search all archived news and newsletter articles, press releases and public service announcements.